Assignment #3 Instructions: Analytical Essay-2
For this assignment, students will write an analytical essay based on the short story “Hills Like White Elephants” http://faculty.weber.edu/jyoung/English%202500/Rea…
The purpose of an analytical essay is to deconstruct (take apart) a story based on the literary elements it contains. These literary elements include plot, character, setting, point of view, language, conflict, tone, and style, symbolism, foreshadowing, and theme. Keep in mind that just retelling what happened in the story or what the story is “about” is not literary analysis. You can choose the element or elements you think you can best use to analyze the story. You need to use at least 3 elements and one of them should be theme. Remember that theme is the application we can make of the story to real life and real people – what we can learn from the story. It is outside the story itself and its plot and characters. Since theme is the most critical element in a literary analysis, you should have it as the final of your three elements to be discussed.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Each body paragraph should explore one of the elements of literature you have chosen, using the specific and technical terms explained within the lectures.
This essay should:
- Explore, in detail, the literary elements within the short story you have selected.
- Support the analysis with evidence from the text.
- Be 1000 words long.
- Have an integrated, direct quote from the text support the thesis in each of the body paragraphs.
- Use APA guidelines for format, citation, both in-text and on a References page.
- Avoid using 1st- or 2nd-person references (focus on objective 3rd-person references instead).
- Be submitted as a MS Word .docx file.
- Pay attention to the sample student essay in unit 8. Your essay should LOOK exactly like that sample essay in format. The sample essay also gives you a possible approach to creating the essay.
- Your essay cannot focus on just a detailed re-telling of the plot of the story – that is not literary analysis.
- Look at the pattern of organization in the sample essay and consider it for use in your essay.
- THIS ASSIGNMENT IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A RESEARCH PAPER. I KNOW YOU CAN FIND ANALYSIS OF ALL OF THE STORIES AT WEB SITES ON THE INTERNET. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN WHAT PROFESSIONAL LITERARY REVIEWERS HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT THE STORY YOU CHOOSE- I WANT YOUR ORIGINAL THOUGHTS TO SHOW ME YOU HAVE LEARNED HOW TO INTERPRET A STORY. I WOULD BE PLEASED TO SEE ONLY THE AUTHOR/STORY ON YOUR REFERENCES PAGE ALONG WITH PERHAPS THE SOURCE OF SOME BIOGRAPHICAL INFO ON THE AUTHOR IN YOUR INTRODUCTION.
Quotations and In-Text Citation:
Follow the example of the Sample Essay in this week’s module.
Check out the sample essay to see how to cite your story and how to list it on the References page.
Plagiarism will result in a zero for the assignment and also possible disciplinary action up to and including dismissal from the program.