This Case Assignment focuses on phenomena within an organization that enable or hinder learning about business process. The discussion is one from a scholarly perspective, not from any given organization.
Paste these instructions on the cover page of your case paper, using a small font.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
After reviewing the required reading for this module (and if you have time the optional reading), write a 5-page paper addressing the following questions/topics:
- What are professional development activities and organizational development activities according to Blau et al, (2008); what are the differences between the two?
- Explain/describe and contrast organizational learning mechanisms according to Clifford and Thope (2007), as well as Bleu et al (2008).
- What are individual-level factors that deter from learning about processes according to Ng et al., 2006 and Orpen, 1997? Find 1 or 2 external sources if you can, and compare them to those identified by these authors.
- Explain organizational environment issues that deter learning about processes. Compare and contrast the works of Alderfer & Smith, 1982 and Ashforth & Mael, 1989, as well as 1 or 2 external sources.
Summarize your findings on why individuals learn about processes in organizations or are hindered from learning within organizations.
Submit at minimum a 5-page paper (excluding cover sheet and references, figures, sections with bullets, and tables), double spaced, no extra spaces, and 1-inch margins, that answers the questions using all of the required reading, and if possible the optional reading and 1 to 3 outside references.
The paper will have a proper main heading stating the name of the class, module number, and title of the paper. The paper will also have an introduction that states the purpose of the paper and what will be answered, as well as section headings that guide the reader throughout the evolution of the discussion.
Quotations should only be used for definitions so that the student can demonstrate the ability to synthesize and articulate knowledge from the required reading.
All assertions and key discussion points are properly cited using APA format. In other words, any sentence or paragraph that contains material derived or synthesized from the background reading or other sources will be cited. References are in APA format. All references are cited at least once.
- Blau, G., Andersson, L., Davis, K., Daymont, T, Hochner, A., Koziara, K. Portwood, J., and Holladay, B. (2008). The relation between employee organizational and professional development activities. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 72(1): 123-142. Focus on Paragraphs 1.1 and 2.2.1 and 2.2.2.
- Ashforth, B., & Mael, F. 1989. Social identity theory and the organization. Academy of Management Review, 14(1): 20-39. Focus on the material starting on page 24 and on.
- Clifford, J., and Thorpe, S. (2007). More ways than one… exploring the use of different learning methods in organizations. Industrial and Commercial Training, 39(5): 267. Focus on the four broad learning categories starting at the bottom of page 268.
- Ng, T. W. H., Butts, M. M., Vandenberg, R. J., DeJoy, D. M., and Wilson, M. G., (2006). Effects of management communication, opportunity for learning, and work schedule flexibility. Read Paragraph 2.2.
- Orpen, C., (1997). The effects of formal mentoring on employee work motivation, organizational commitment and job performance. The Learning Organization, 4(2): 53. Focus on the introduction.
- Alderfer, C. P., & Smith, K. (1982). Studying intergroup relations embedded in organizations. Administrative Science Quarterly, 27(1), 35-65. Read the section titled “Groups in Organizations” on page 38 and stop at the end of the five intergroup relations phenomena at the top of page 40.