Apply theories and best practices in strategic leadership to drive improvements for health care systems.
- Explain the importance of strategic planning within the context of an organization.
- Compare and contrasts strategic leadership against other leadership models.
- Identify key components of strategic planning.
- Explain the role and importance of the organizations mission and vision in strategic planning.
- Competency 3: Analyze the components of high performance teams to enable the achievement of the departmental strategic vision.
- Describe the role of stakeholders in strategic planning.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and respectful of the diversity, dignity, and integrity of others and is consistent with health care professionals.
- Communicate presentation in a compelling and persuasive manner that encourages buy in from the audience.
- Demonstrate effective communication through writing and proper use of APA style.
- Communicate in a professional and effective manner by writing content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
For this assessment, you will be putting together a PowerPoint presentation within the context of a local health care organization. To prepare to complete this assessment you will need to complete the following:
- Identify a local health care organization of interest to you (this can be your current place of practice).
- Research the mission and vision of your chosen organization.
- Research key stakeholder within your chosen organization, as well as external community stakeholders if relevant.
Additionally, you will be required to record audio for your presentation. You may find it useful to review the following resources on PowerPoint and Kaltura:
You may use a different program or piece of technology, provided you can still create a presentation with visuals and recorded audio. You may wish to check with your instructor before attempting to use a different program or piece of technology.
Note: As a professional best practice, and to make your presentation as accessible as possible, be prepared to include a text alternative for your recorded audio by providing a brief transcript or detailed notes with your presentation. (This practice is also helpful to ensure that you are recording the words that you wish to say.) Your notes or transcript can be included in the notes area of your presentation.
For this assessment, assume you are the strategic analyst at your local community health care organization. The organizational leadership will soon be updating its strategic plan and would like the input of all department heads. The first step is to educate the department heads on strategic planning. The director of strategic planning has asked you to create an overview of strategic planning in health care to help the department heads better understand the process. You have to develop a PowerPoint presentation to be shown in the next department head meeting. The goal for the presentation is to provide refresher to those who are familiar with strategic planning and the process, while providing others who are newer to the process with an overview of the process and its importance for the future of the organization.
When assembling your presentation, make an effort to construct your PowerPoint presentation in such a way (for example, using bullet points) that it highlights the key ideas and themes for each slide. The details and depth of your presentation should come from the notes section for each slide, which should reflect what you are saying in the recorded audio.
You may organize your PowerPoint in any way that will effectively cover the scoring guide criteria presented in the Demonstration of Proficiency section.
One suggested way to organize your presentation is:
- Title of the presentation (1 slide).
- Overview and definition of strategic planning specific to health care (2–3 slides).
- Theories and best practices in health care strategy that drive quality and improvement for health care organizations (3–4 slides).
- Role of leadership, strategic leadership, and differences between the two (1–2 slides).
- Phases and components of strategic planning (1–2 slides).
- An overview of key stakeholders (1–2 slides).
- How strategy aligns with the mission and vision of the health care organization (1–2 slides).
- Reference slide formatted using APA format.
- Structure: Include a title slide and reference slide.
- Length: 10–16 slides.
- Duration of audio recording: 10–15 minutes.
- References: At least three current scholarly or professional resources.
- Format: Use the current APA style and format for reference slide and in-text citations only.
- Font: Use a font that is consistent with the expectations of your organization, for example, Times New Roman, Arial, or Calibri.