PHI101 Discussion Board Instructions: Please answer each element of the prompt in at least one original post. All your posts must add up to a word count of 1000, you must post on at least five different calendar days (by Blackboard’s timestamp) and they must be on the topic, and show that you have thought carefully about the topic, and listened attentively to the posts of others. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
In Unit One, we have heard about many views of philosophy– from the presocratics, to Socrates himself, to Socrates’ great student Plato.
Answer the 5 questions below in your own words and understanding. Do not include informations from the web.
1) What, after all of this, do you think philosophy is?
2) What are some of the philosophical questions we have encountered — and how do you think they differ from other kinds of questions asked in science and religion?
3) What do you think of Socrates and his view that “the unexamined life is not worth living”?
4) Was Socrates right to be willing to die rather than give up philosophy– or was he foolish?
5) Finally, what of Plato’s “ideal” society and his idea that philosophers should rule it – what does he mean when he refers to philosophers? Does it matter that our heads of state are intelligent and well educated?