Social Media and Activism
How do groups use social media as a tool? What are the possibilities and limits of social media?
- Gladwell, Malcolm, “Small Change: Why the Revolution will not be Tweeted” The New Yorker, October 4, 2010. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010/10/04/small-change-malcolm-gladwell
- “8 Massive Moments Hashtag Activism Really, Really Worked.” https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/hashtag-activism-hashtag10-twitter-trends-dresslik/
- Watch: How a Hashtag Defined a Movement
- Slacktivism: Social Media’s Effect on Activism | Sophie Egar | TEDxYouth@PepperPike
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Clarification: I am getting use to use Panapto for lecturing but do not always manage my notes, the computer and my surrounding environment. So to clarify some notes regarding the gold rush in California:
Gold rush: At the start of 1849 there were only 55 Chinese men in the US. By 1851, 25,000 Chinese immigrants had left their homes and moved to California
Remember to take notes during this lecture and pause as I move along fairly quickly. Within the video I ask you to watch these two brief videos on Angel Island that was established in 1910 as a immigration processing center:
- Overview of conditions : https:// (Links to an external site.)www.aiisf.org/ports
- Experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_EQY-0ThOM
- For this lesson I want you to focus on the poetry discussed in the video (you may be tested on the conditions at a later date). I read one of the poems in the video above, here are two more:
Imprisoned in the wooden building day after day,
My freedom withheld; how can I bear to talk about it?
I look to see who is happy but they only sit quietly.
I am anxious and depressed and cannot fall asleep.
The days are long and bottle constantly empty; my sad
mood, even so, is not dispelled.
Nights are long and the pillow cold; who can pity my
After experiencing such loneliness and sorrow,
Why not just return home and learn to plow the fields?
Instead of remaining a citizen of China, I willingly became an
I intended to come to America to earn a living.
The Western styled buildings are lofty; but I have not the
luck to live in them.
How was anyone to know that my dwelling place would be a
We looked at music at the beginning of the semester, now it is poetry’s turn: This brief articles gives you examples of poems and poetry’s relevance for activism.
Choose one of the poems from the bottom of the article and:
1. Summarize its message. Who is it talking about?
2. Tell me why it should be considered a poem of resistance and/or empowerment (as some of you focused on when choosing your song.)
3. And then comment on the subtitle to the article: “Why poetry is necessary and sought after during crises.” and why you picked the poem you commented on.
1.5-2 pages typed. Submit here. Proof read as points will be deducted for numerous errors, use examples from the poem you choose to answer the questions.
1. Select a focus for your activism
- Individual–(get individuals to stop texting and driving)
- Society–Create distracted driving laws
2. Identify an individual or social problem that you want to raise awareness about. (ex., stereotypes, sexism in music, racism on campus, homelessness, poverty, child trafficking, body image issues, etc.)
3. Create 3 hastags that are related to an issue or new movement you are starting (ex. #metoo #stopdeforestation #stopdrunkdriving)
4. Select a meme or image that captures some aspect of your movement.
5. Create a ‘call to action’ tweet. Underneath your image, write why people should care about your movement, and how they can get involved. Should they sign a petition? Share your tweet? Donate to an organization? Organize for protest?
#leavethe tree #stopdeforestation #saveourlungs
Did you know that two trees can provide enough oxygen for a family of four? We won’t be able to stop the climate crisis without stopping deforestation. Make deforestation illegal. Plant a tree. Save our lungs.
Post your tweet directly in this discussion board. Please respond to another student’s tweet.